Dear Canajoharie School Community,
Enclosed is the 2018-2019 proposed school district budget. This budget includes new items to help us meet the needs of our 21st century students. In December, the Board of Education adopted new vision, mission and value statements. The proposed expenditures support the vision statement: Every Learner, Together, World Ready.
The focus areas for this budget include:
- A school librarian/tech integration specialist to support library instruction in grades 7-8 and support K-12 teachers and students with the integration of technology into learning and the curriculum.
- Initial funding of a capital outlay project (COP). COP’s are small projects of up to $100,000 per year. Districts receive the total amount of aid on the project the following year. This year’s proposed COP will replace some exterior doors at East Hill.
- Expansion of two-part time positions to full time: Art at the high school to support expanded course offerings and account clerk/typist for payroll and health benefits.
- After school busing so students can seek academic support and participate in
- Transportation allocation for extracurricular clubs/activities.
The proposed budget represents 4.09 percent increase over the current year and includes a proposed tax levy of 2 percent. The budget includes the use of retirement and unrestricted fund balance.
I invite you to join us at our budget workshop on May 7 ,2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Following the budget workshop, the candidate for the one open Board of Education seat will present information about her education platform.
Please contact any Board of Education member or me with questions regarding this budget
Thank you for learning about our budget proposal and your continued support of our students.
Deborah P. Grimshaw
Superintendent of Schools