Volume 6, Issue 4
What do consequences look like in a Conscious Discipline school?
If a child misbehaves at East Hill, there are consequences for that behavior. Our consequences are reasonable, respectful and relevant to the misbehavior, as much as possible. Consequences include: loss of recess, loss of lunch with friends, removal from classroom or grade-level activities (e.g. Fun Friday), reflection time, drafting an apology letter, in or out of school suspension.
East Hill teachers worked together to create a procedure book focused on misbehaviors and skill building. This allows everyone to be on the same page.
Here is an example from our procedure book:
Misbehavior – Student uses inappropriate language
Teacher’s first response – “You may use safe and comfortable words to express your feelings.” “You may ask for help to find safe words to express your feelings.”
Then the teacher says – “You may not use hurtful words.”
Conscious Discipline skill-building activities to do in the classroom:
- Practice statements with safe language
- Role playing with appropriate language
- Time machine – “go back” in time, how could you have said it differently?
- Visual commitment student—student makes a commitment to only use safe language
Consequence and skill building:
- Communicate with family
- Student spends recess in “Pause Paws” – what we used to call detention for reflection
- Skill building sheet
Parent/Guardian discussion about safety procedures at East Hill – Please join us on Monday, 1/22, at 6:30 p.m. in the East Hill Library. We will discuss and seek feedback about safety procedures implemented at East Hill School.
East Hill School: Upcoming Events
- Week of 1/22 – 1/26 – Mrs. Barkac from Conscious Discipline will be in all of our classrooms working with students and teachers on Conscious Discipline activities.
- Jan. 22 – iReady mid-year assessment testing window The testing window opens and grade levels will participate as time opens up in the computer lab
- Jan. 22 – Parent discussion and feedback session regarding safety procedures East Hill Library. Join us to discuss safety procedures at East Hill School!
- Jan. 25 , 7 p.m. – Board of Education Meeting, Canajoharie HS
- Feb. 1 – Report Cards issued
- Feb. 7 – New Dimensions in Health Care dental program for 1st graders
- Feb. 8, 7 p.m. – Board of Education Meeting, Canajoharie HS
- Feb. 12, 3:15 p.m. – PTA Meeting, East Hill Library
- Feb. 19-23 – February Vacation, School Closed
- Feb. 26 – School resumes
- March 3 – All County Performance
- March 24 – Family Fun Day!